My First Job

0

Written on 1:24 PM by Sarah

If I were to classify the first time I was paid to do a task for someone, it would be the day I was old enough to do chores and recieve an allowance.

I don't quite remember my age, but I know I was around ten years old because my stepdad was still in the military. I had three younger brothers and my mother decided to make a Chore Chart with some markers and posterboard. We had that list on every fridge for the next ten years.

Our chores varied from doing the dishes to feeding the dog and they alternated days so no one would feel like they were doing all the hard chores. Of course, my younger brothers weren't asked to do things beyond their abilities and it took a good amount of explanation before I accepted this as a fair decision.

My mother would check off or star sticker the chart after we had done our chores for the day. Then, on Saturday, we would each get $5. I think this went up after a while because I remember getting $20 for washing her car, but I digress. The point was that we had to do everything. And if you missed your day, you simply piled them up for the next day so there was no escaping the chores. I learned a valuable lesson during the days of the Chore Chart:

Little brothers hate doing dishes, and they will give you money to do it for them.

If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to our feed

No Comment

Post a Comment